Our subject matter experts on this course include people like Ross Jacobs. Ross is the manager of the Canteen Online Support Service, where he combines a passion for working with young people with a belief in the power of technology to facilitate meaningful connection. Ross has 12 years of experience of working in community mental health as a social worker, counsellor and manager.
Technology Enabled Care
Equip yourself with the knowledge and practical skills to deliver effective, quality, human-centred care and prevention with the use of modern technology.
- Time commitment
- 6 weeks (6-10 hours per week) 100% online
Develop the knowledge and practical skills to recommend, apply, and coach patients on e-health technologies to deliver optimal health outcomes.
With an ever expanding availability of health technology, clinicians are facing increasing pressure to understand how technology can assist in delivering tailored, effective service delivery and implement it in their practice. This pressure, combined with rapid growth in the healthcare sector, has resulted in a growing skills gap in technology enabled patient care in Australia.
Our Technology Enabled Care course looks to address some of these issues by covering the key skills and knowledge required to assess and implement consumer health technologies such as digital apps, games, and wearable biosensors to improve health outcomes. You’ll gain experience applying the latest evidence based technology in your day-to-day practice and get access to the latest research to support patient care and coaching.
By the end of this course, you’ll know how to:
• Evaluate, apply contemporary and relevant industry frameworks, the risks, barriers and success factors to adoption of current consumer and patient technologies
• Critically analyse approaches to efficacious, patient-centric, technology-enabled health and wellbeing
• Recommend digitally enabled approaches to patient care that support patient outcomes and wellbeing
Our Technology Enabled Care course is designed for:
• Junior or mid-career health care professionals including frontline nurses, psychologists, and other allied health professionals looking to upskill and incorporate individual digital health technologies in clinical practice. Ideal students will also want to stay ahead of industry best practice in consumer centred care
• General practitioners (GPs) looking to stay ahead of the curve in assessing and incorporating preventative and therapeutic health technologies into their practice
Upon completing this course, you’ll have produced one project: a technology enabled patient care or coaching guide for practitioners for your chosen care setting.
Get RMIT credentialed
After completing an RMIT Future Skills course, you will earn an RMIT credential which can be validated, recognised and shared on social media platforms.
Consumers and determinants of good health
- Explore what influences good health and wellbeing in Australia such as social determinants of health, motivations for behaviour change, and ways to influence health and wellbeing
- Explore how individuals are drivers of care and all other stakeholders in health and wellbeing
- Analyse the potential of Electronic Health Records (My Health Record)
Patient-centred care: what is it and why is technology an opportunity?
- Analyse the driving forces towards patient-centred care models
- Discuss patient care fundamentals: the principles, approaches, stakeholders, patient rights and safety and evolving regulatory models
- Analyse evidence of patient outcomes via use cases of patient care technology
What wearables, apps and other health tech can do in patient care?
- Diagnose current and emerging trends in integrating consumer and patient technology applications into patient care including EMR and monetisation
- Explore how efficacious and productive personal health apps or wearables are in specific care settings via case studies
- Explore the application of emerging healthcare technologies in patient care or wellness – such as artificial intelligence (AI) and robotics
Patient engagement in telehealth and virtual care
- Define and understand the concepts of telehealth, virtual care, and remote care
- Explore telehealth beyond COVID-19: explore emerging case studies in advancing and integrating telehealth patient engagement in either mental health, other allied health or medicine
Health coaching with tech – humanity before technology
- Describe the benefits of health coaching to patient care
- Apply case studies for getting the balance right between technology and in person care
- Practice health coaching techniques incorporating consumer health technologies
Global applications of consumer health technologies
Analyse success and failure indicators for implementing consumer health technologies into patient care via global case studies. Choose one of the following below:
- Mental health and the gamification for behaviour change
- Ageing in place and assistive technologies
- Exploring wearables, apps and the Prescribed Digital Therapeutics pathway
Learn with Industry Experts
Get ready to meet some of the biggest names in the business
Our subject matter experts on this course include people like Bryan MacDonald. Bryan is a clinical leader focussed on delivering tangible clinical outcomes through the implementation of digital solutions. He has a clinical background and worked in the healthcare industry for over 26 years across public, private health services and state wide digital health initiatives. He has also led a number of national initiatives supporting health care organisations to implement solutions that enable clinical outcomes.
Rachel Davey is Director of the multi-disciplinary Health Research Institute, and has over 30 years’ research experience relating to the prevention of chronic disease, health services research and evaluation, and clinical and community interventions. She has wide experience of working across the healthcare system in Australia and internationally.
Our learner success team are here to help you with 1:1 coaching, tips on how to successfully study online, and any questions or concerns you may have.
Why choose RMIT Online
Get a world-class education and transform your career.
Real world skills
Develop skills that have been validated by industry, while getting credentialed by a world-leading university.
You'll gain knowledge and practical skills from renowned industry partners who are at the forefront of their field.
Advance your career while you study. RMIT Online courses let you balance work, study and life commitments.
Be guided by a network of industry experts and peers, and supported by our dedicated success team.
Download a brochure
Register your interest to get a free course guide for Technology Enabled Care.